Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Social Network


I’ve been hearing great reviews for this film about Mark Zuckerberg and his creation of Facebook ever since it came out four weeks ago.  But I haven’t rushed to see it because it just didn’t sound that appealing.  Well, I must tell you that all the good word of mouth was spot on.  This movie is spectacular.  It’s definitely one of the best films of the year, and I think could be nominated for Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director (for David Fincher), Best Actor (for Jesse Eisenberg), and maybe even Best Supporting Actor (for Justin Timberlake).  I must admit I didn’t know anything about this story, and so I can’t really say how much of it is true, but it was totally fascinating.  I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling after watching it that anyone out there working for the ‘man’ is wasting their lives.  Of course, most of us are not as brilliant as Mark Zuckerberg, so unfortunately we have no choice.  (And somehow I doubt that this blog will be as successful as Facebook.But it’s an inspiring film.  I do fear that every college kid who sees it will immediately stop looking for real jobs and spend their time trying to invent the next big thing.  And that’s a recipe for disaster.  But enough about my prediction of the downfall of society as we know it.
I won’t say anything about the plot, because each and every scene is fantastic and the less you know of the story the better.  But Eisenberg is tremendous as the fast talking and brilliant, yet socially inept, Zuckerberg.  And Andrew Garfield (now in ‘Never Let Me Go’ and soon to be a household name as the next Spiderman) and Justin Timberlake are both perfectly cast as well.  And Fincher, who has made amazing films like ‘Seven’, ‘The Game’, and ‘Fight Club’ has done it again, in a totally different genre.  (I think I might need to have a David Fincher tribute week.)  And the script from writer Aaron Sorkin is perfect.  This was truly an all star team, and it shows.  Go see this one!
Grade:  A+

6 comments:

  1. Would Fincher tribute week include Zodiac? Might be my favorite Fincher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course, it would surely include 'Zodiac'. But I've only seen it once and it wasn't my favorite Fincher. I need to watch it again. 'Seven' and 'The Game' are my favorites. And I even liked 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', and the oft panned 'Alien 3' better than 'Zodiac'. But perhaps that would change after a Fincher-A-Thon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought FliederonFilm already was as big as Facebook...

    If it's getting the Flieder seal of approval, I guess I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how much of it's true, but I secretly hope all of it. You have to admire a film/story where the central character is a completely terrible human being, but you leave the movie thinking "Damn, that dude is awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving that you are connecting all of these films, I never would have known Seven and this one have the same director.

    ReplyDelete