Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Winter's Bone

Jennifer Lawrence plays a 17 year old girl doomed to a life of poverty and family troubles in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri in this gritty, low-budget mystery now available on DVD and Blu-Ray.   On top of taking care of her mentally disabled mother and her younger brother and sister, she is in search of her missing dad, who she couldn’t care less about, but he’s due in court and posted their house as collateral.  Every white trash family member and neighbor she interacts with in the search for her dad is creepier, dirtier, and more suspicious than the last one.  The film is dark, gritty, and violent, and shows a part of America we rarely get to see on film.
I must admit, when I first saw this in the theater earlier this year I didn’t fully appreciate it.  But I’ve heard so many good things about it, including some Oscar buzz, that I figured I should revisit it.  And I’m really glad I did.  It’s a dark, tense mystery that will stick with you long after it's over, and open your eyes to how the other half lives.
Grade:  A-

1 comment: