Sunday, December 12, 2010

Inception

I’m sure most people reading this are somewhat familiar with this film since it was one of the more anticipated and discussed films of the summer. And it just came out on DVD last Tuesday, so it’s a great time to revisit it even if you’ve already seen it.
Leonardo DiCaprio is a thief who can enter people’s dreams and extract information from their subconscious.  I don’t want to say too much about it, because this movie is particularly fun to watch unravel and try to follow what’s going on.  And I say ‘try’, because it’s a bit confusing, but that makes it enjoyable for repeat viewings.
I will say that the cast is terrific, including DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and even a small part by Michael Caine, who makes every movie better just by being in it.  And the score by the great Hans Zimmer sets the tone perfectly.
The film is written and directed by Christopher Nolan, who’s one of my all time favorite writer/directors.  In my opinion, he’s batting 1000, including ‘Memento’, ‘The Prestige’, ‘Insomnia’, ‘Batman Begins’, and ‘The Dark Knight’.  If you missed any one of those I highly recommend checking them out.  And I’m particularly looking forward to a tribute for Nolan I will be attending in January at the Santa Barbara Film Festival.
‘Inception’ is probably my least favorite of all of Nolan’s films mentioned above, because it tends to drag a bit.  But it’s still pretty darn original and interesting.  There is some buzz that it may be one of the 10 nominees for Academy Award Best Picture, but I’m not so sure it’ll make the cut.  But regardless if you find the film to be a complete success, it will make you think and will spark discussion afterward.  And what more do you want?
Grade:  A-

2 comments:

  1. How does Nolan come up with such interesting/challenging movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this movie was great. It is a mind twister. I makes you keep up with the movie..I caught my self counting in which dream the characters were in, and it leaves you hanging at the end. Great concept.

    ReplyDelete