Sunday, December 5, 2010

Knight and Day

Say what you want about Tom Cruise as a person, but he’s a darn good movie star.  He consistently makes ok roles in ok films better than they should be.  And he certainly does that here.  He plays an unbelievably talented rogue secret agent.  Meanwhile, Cameron Diaz is just a normal gal trying to get to her sister’s wedding.  But when Diaz crosses paths with Cruise at the airport her life gets turned upside down.  She’s not sure what to believe.  Is Cruise the hero or the villain?

I don’t blame Diaz for not knowing what to believe, because nothing in this film is believable in the least.  But it is a lot of fun regardless.  Cruise really owns the role.  Cameron Diaz basically gets dragged around the whole film as the confused girl in distress, but she plays that part sufficiently well.  The film is a bit reminiscent of the 'Brangelina' action movie ‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’, except here we only have one insanely talented spy.  The action scenes are excellent.  The score by John Powell is pitch perfect.  James Mangold directed, and although I wasn’t initially familiar with his filmography, he has made some good ones including ‘Walk the Line’, ‘Identity’, and a great remake of the western ‘3:10 to Yuma’.

Overall, somewhat surprisingly, I enjoyed this movie.  And I don’t normally dig action films, but this one is well made despite its utter lack of plausibility.  The thing I least cared for is the title.  I don’t like titles that are plays on words using a character’s name.  It’s too easy and just too lame.   Of course, for the life of me, I can’t think of another good example.  Can anyone help me out?

Grade:  B

1 comment: