Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rabbit Hole

Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart play grieving parents mourning the loss of their four year old son, who was killed eight months prior.  At the start of the film, they are remarkably stable and are attending group therapy.  But as the movie unfolds, you see that they aren’t quite as well adjusted as they first seem.
As I’ve written before, there are a lot of films as of late about a similar theme.  And it’s interesting to see how each one is so remarkably different.  I imagine that is just a natural reflection on how different everyone’s personal grieving process is.  And I think how well you, the viewer, connect with a film like this depends on how closely you can relate to the characters and how they grieve.  I’m sure many parents won’t want to watch a film like this, forcing themselves to go there emotionally, as it probably represents their worst fears. But I find heavy material like this to be fulfilling.
For me this film worked, but not as well as ‘The Greatest’ which I reviewed recently.  Without giving anything away, there are certain things about Kidman’s behavior that just didn’t feel realistic to me.  Nevertheless the leads were good, the characters were unpredictable and not stereotypical, and the film pulled me in.  So, based on that, I think it’s worth seeing if you can handle the subject matter.
Grade:  B+

1 comment:

  1. I saw Aaron Eckhart on some talk show the other day and was kind of confused because I remembered your review for The Greatest, but didn't think he was in that. Guess he's not.

    ReplyDelete