Friday, January 28, 2011

The Rite


Anthony Hopkins stars in this dreadful horror film about priests exercising demons in Rome.  I won't mince words.  This movie is terrible.  I mean, really bad.  It should have been called 'The Rong', because there was nothing 'rite' about it.  It has every horror movie cliche, with cheap scares every chance it gets punched by a shrieking score, to try to distract you from realizing it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

And how many terrible movies starring Sir Anthony Hopkins do viewers have to endure before they realize he's totally overrated?  (I realized this years ago.)  His last three before this were Woody Allen's 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger', 'The Wolfman', and 'The City of Your Final Destination'.   That makes four horrible movies in a row.  So, based on that, not only do I suggest we de-knight him and take away his 'Sir' title, but we also consider eating his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.  (I kid, of course, about the latter suggestion.  Please, readers, do not attempt to injure Mr. Hopkins in any way.  I'm sure he's a very nice man.  But I do not look forward to seeing any more of his films.)

Let me be clear.  Skip this film.  And check out 'The Last Exorcism' instead for all your demon exorcizing needs.

Grade: F

2 comments:

  1. Ouch. I personally prefer to check out the plots to scary movies on Wikipedia anyway.

    ReplyDelete