Friday, January 7, 2011

Season of the Witch


Well, it’s only January 7th, but I think I may have an entry for my worst movies of 2011 list.  Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman star in this horror fantasy as two Knights in the Middle Ages on a journey to transport an imprisoned witch to a specific church in order to break a curse she has put on mankind.  To me, the premise sounds promising.  But unfortunately it’s kind of a mess.  And believe me, I take no pleasure in saying that because I think it had a lot of potential.  And also I’ve really enjoyed Cage’s film choices of late (e.g. ‘The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans’ and ‘Kick-Ass’.)  And I don’t blame him for this movie being lackluster, although truthfully he doesn’t bring much to it.  He seems to have phoned in his performance on this one.  (He’s probably tired from making so many movies the last few years.)   On the other hand, Perlman (eternally ‘The Beast’ to me) is probably the best part of the film.  He, at least, looks like he was having a good time making it, so I can at least live a little bit vicariously through him.  But really, all a popcorn movie like this has to offer is potentially a fun time, and I didn’t really have much fun watching it.  So I pray thee shall skip it.
Grade:  D

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anyone has ever said to me, "I pray thee..." and for that reason alone, I shall indeed skip it, Bri - even if I am a fan of Nicolas Cage. Yeah, he probably could use some time off......

    ReplyDelete