Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cedar Rapids


Ed Helms (from 'The Office' and 'The Hangover') stars as a childlike small town insurance agent who has never been anywhere.  But he becomes a little more worldly when he is sent on a business trip to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in this indie comedy which just premiered at Sundance last month.  The film costars John C. Reilly, Anne Heche, and Sigourney Weaver.

These types of indie comedies are usually the kinds of films I love.  And yet I didn't love it.  I liked it.  I liked the cast, and I liked that I had no idea where it was going.  But it's really not that funny, nor does it connect you with any of the characters.  Call me corny, but my favorite moment is a short scene where Helms explains to Heche why he loves being an insurance agent.  But moments like that were too few and far between.  Nevertheless, at least this film is somewhat original.  And I can't say that about most of the movies released in January and February.  So I probably shouldn't complain.  Much.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment