Saturday, March 19, 2011

HappyThankYouMorePlease


Josh Radnor from 'How I Met Your Mother' wrote, directed and stars in this film which premiered at Sundance in January 2010.  In typical indie fashion, it contains multiple storylines related to three young, attractive friends and digs deep into the depths of love and friendship.  Radnor plays a struggling writer looking for love who temporarily takes on the responsibility of caring for a young african american boy who he witnessed get separated from his foster mom on the subway, and he uses his new little friend to make a move on crush Kate Mara.  Malin Akerman plays a woman stricken with Alopecia, a condition that makes her hairless.  (And boy is it freaky how unattractive an attractive woman looks without eyebrows!)  She, too, is looking for Mr. Right.  And Zoe Kazan and Pablo Schreiber round out the film in the least interesting storyline, as they question their relationship and debate the pros and cons of living in New York vs. Los Angeles.  On the plus side, Tony Hale from 'Arrested Development' breathes life into the film as a creepy office mate of Akerman's, and the great Richard Jenkins pops up in a way-too-small part in the beginning.

I've been waiting for this film to be released in theaters for 14 months now.  So, was it worth it?  Well, yes and no.  In many ways it's trite, with roll-your-eyes scenes aplenty.  But Josh Radnor is really indie movie star material.  To me, he's the next Zach Braff and this is his 'Garden State'.  It won't be nearly as well received by audiences of course, as it's not as good, but for a first attempt this is a success and I see big things to come from Radnor.  Just when I was about to blow it off as way too trite, certain scenes really hit a home run.  One scene in particular towards the end with Tony Hale and Malin Akerman really resonated with me.  I won't say what it is, of course, but I thought it was among the finest few moments of film I've seen this year.  So, while I don't necessarily want MorePlease, I sincerely want to thank Radnor, Hale, and Akerman for giving me a few precious moments of poignancy after months of just not getting any.  HappyThankYou.

Grade:  B

5 comments:

  1. More How I Met Your Mother stars in movies, please! Is this in theaters now? For how long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in limited release in theaters. It opened in NY on March 4 and just opened in Philly on Friday. I wouldn't expect it to last long.

    And yes, I agree the How I Met Your Mother cast is great and should be in more films. Forgetting Sarah Marshall 2 anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of writing, Bri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now, if you offered Josh Radnor Zach Braff's career, I think he'd pass. 5 more years of increasingly irrelevant HIMYM and a flame-out film career. Not exactly sparkling prospects

    ReplyDelete