Friday, March 4, 2011

Rango


Johnny Depp voices Rango in this animated action/adventure western about a lonely chameleon who gets in over his head when he stumbles upon a town sorely lacking in water and gets appointed as sheriff.  And corruption is abound with the mayor who knows that he who controls the water controls the power. 

It's actually a bit of a 'Pirates' reunion here, with Depp, director Gore Verbinski, actor Bill Nighy, and composer Hans Zimmer also on board.  You can't go too wrong with that team.

I'm kind of torn on what grade to give this film.  It's definitely well made with a top notch cast of voices.  And I enjoyed all the details thrown in to keep the adults as entertained as the kids, including homages to Chinatown, Don Quixote, and the 'Man With No Name' Clint Eastwood trilogy.  And for some reason I particularly enjoyed the Mariachi owls who comment on the film throughout.  But there aren't any big surprises and I found myself sporatically bored.  That could just be because I'm not a huge fan of animation though.  So I think I'm mainly going to recommend this film for parents with children.  (It's rated PG, FYI, so you may not want to bring the real l'il ones.)  But I think adults on their own can probably find a better fit.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment