Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bridesmaids


Kristen Wiig from Saturday Night Live stars in the latest R rated comedy produced by comedy uber-producer Judd Apatow.  She plays a nice, normal gal who just can't find love.  In the meantime, she's sleeping with callous and immature Jon Hamm, and hoping he'll change.  She also has career and housing troubles to boot.  And if that ain't enough, when her BFF, played by Maya Rudolph, announces she's getting married, it puts a strain on their relationship as conflict develops between Wiig and Rudolph's new besty, played by Rose Byrne (who's great and everywhere I turn these days, in 'Damages', 'Get Him to the Greek' and 'Insidious'), as they're jockeying for position during all the pre-wedding festivities.  I've heard a few people call this the female 'Hangover', and I can see the analogy.

You can't go too wrong with an Apatow comedy, including 'The 40 Year Old Virgin', 'Knocked Up', and 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'.  And this one is pretty funny, courtesy of Wiig, who also cowrote the script.  It's a vehicle for her first leading role after many shining cameo and supporting parts over the last few years.  And she does a great job in the drivers seat.  I'd say she's perched and ready to be the next Jennifer Aniston as queen of the romantic comedy.

I must admit, I had some issues with the stereotypical characters and predictable storyline, but the film exceeded my expectations in terms of comedy.  And since the target demographic is clearly women, and yet I was still very entertained, I think this one's a success.  So ladies, grab you gal pals or convince your date it's the right choice for the weekend and Wiig out.
Grade: B+

1 comment:

  1. I saw this yesterday (I know! I WENT to a movie theater) and the thing we commented on was how hilarious this was and it was carried by all women. You don't see a lot of that. And as the target audience, I was pleased with the mix of traditional rom-com and over the top gross out humor. Glad they realized we ladies like more than just will-they-won't-they snooze fests.

    ReplyDelete