Friday, May 20, 2011

Hobo with a Shotgun


I hate grindhouse and exploitation movies.  I don't get the attraction.  And this one is absolutely terrible.

It's actually based on one of the fake trailers from Quentin Tarantino's and Robert Rodriguez's 'Grindhouse' film.  That alone should be an indicator it's going to be terrible.  (And this is actually the second fake trailer-turned-feature film from that movie, with 'Machete' being the first.)

Purposely filmed to look like it was made in the 70's, and filled with extreme gratuitous violence and gore, Rutger Hauer (who will always be 'The Hitcher' to me) stars as the hobo with the shotgun who decides to take on a town of psychopathic murderers, vigilante-style.  Reminiscent of the 'ultraviolence' of 'A Clockwork Orange', a 'classic' film of which I never understood the appeal, this is just bad-for-the-soul trash.  I actually walked out after 25 minutes.  And I never do that.  But I feel really good about that decision.

I understand this will have a small cult following of disturbed individuals who think it's the greatest film of the year.  But they are wrong and should seek professional help.  It's the worst movie of the year.  By far.

Grade: F

1 comment: