Friday, June 24, 2011

Bad Teacher


Well, we've already seen Nicolas Cage and Harvey Keitel as bad lieutenants, Billy Bob Thornton as a bad Santa, and in an upcoming film called 'The Good Doctor' Orlando Bloom plays a not-so-good doctor.  So I suppose it is about time for a bad teacher.  And sure enough, Cameron Diaz' character lives up to the title.  She's a conniving, self centered, crude, gold-digger and clearly no role model for impressionable youths.

I must admit, while the movie is entertaining, I was a bit disappointed.  Expectations are everything and mine, unfortunately, had been raised.  David Letterman was glowing with praise the other night when Diaz was his guest.  And co-stars Justin Timberlake and Jason Segal can both be excellent in the right role.  (See Timberlake in 'The Social Network' and Segal in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' if you don't believe me.)  And it's directed by Jake Kasdan (son of Lawrence Kasdan), the writer/director of one of my favorite movies of all time, 'Zero Effect'.  But with all of that said, it's only OK.  You can count on some laughs at some crude R-rated humor, but don't expect anything groundbreaking or memorable. 

If you're ok with something a little darker, be sure to check out Nicolas Cage in 'The Bad Lieutenant'.  That's a movie you shouldn't miss.  But since I've seen it twice already I guess I better just sit tight until they finally release the long awaited 'Bad Plumber'.  'Bad Film Critic'?  'The Bad Proctologist'??  Yeah, that's the ticket!

Grade:  B-

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so it was sort of funny. I appreciated how awful they made Diaz, but it seriously wrapped up too nicely. I too was disappointed. It's not the worst movie I've seen, but I agree, that JT & Jason Segal can be so much better. JT was just downright creepy in this!

    ReplyDelete