Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ewan McGregor Tribute


Revisiting 'The Ghost Writer' last week and 'Beginners', which is now in limited release in theaters, reminded me how great Ewan McGregor can be in the right role.  So I got to thinking that a tribute post was in order.  Below are 11 films you should check out if you're not yet a believer.

Shallow Grave (1994) - For my review check out my blog post on director Danny Boyle from 10/12/10.

Trainspotting (1996) - For my review check out my blog post on director Danny Boyle from 10/12/10.

Brassed Off (1996) - A great underappreciated Miramax classic, also featuring the late, great, Pete Postlethwaite.  What more do you need?

A Life Less Ordinary (1997) - For my review check out my blog post on director Danny Boyle from 10/12/10.

Little Voice (1998) - Another underappreciated Miramax classic, also featuring Michael Caine, and a woman who can mimic all the classic singers from her father's old records.  Seriously, what more do you want already?

Star Wars Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (1999) - OK, so it's not great.  Agreed.  But casting McGregor and Liam Neeson were probably the two best things going for it.  And maybe Darth Maul.  That dude's a bad ass.

Moulin Rouge! (2001) - Some like it and some don't.  But you can't deny McGregor went all in and can sure belt out a tune.

Big Fish (2003) - Tim Burton directed this fun and very original fairy tale.  McGregor doesn't necessarily shine, but the film deserves a mention on the list anyway.

Cassandra's Dream (2007) - Written and directed by Woody Allen and co-starring Colin Ferrell and Tom Wilkinson, this film is better than the attention it received.  It was made during Allen's renaissance in Europe.  'Match Point' got all the attention, but this one is equally dark and equally engaging if not more so.

The Ghost Writer (2010) - Hitchcock would be proud.  For a complete review, check out my blog post from 6/7/11.

Beginners (2011) - It's brilliant.  For a complete review c'mon back and check out my post this Friday and then head to the theater to see it.  Or vice versa.  Whichever.

2 comments:

  1. I only saw Moulin Rouge once and it. was. terrifying. No interest in checking it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember loving Match Point. But you're right it must have taken the spotlight away from Cassandra's Dream, cause not only have I never seen it. I've never heard of it. Will have to add it to Netflix

    ReplyDelete