Friday, June 17, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins


Jim Carrey plays the titular character, Mr. Popper, your stereotypical career obsessed, emotionally devoid, divorced father who thinks his life is perfect but in reality has no real attachments to anyone.  But when he's sent a mysterious crate from his recently passed father who neglected him as a child, the contents bring about changes in his life.  Based on a children's book published in 1938, this adaptation has been significantly updated and modernized.

I must say, just like with all movies targeted for children, I wasn't looking forward to seeing this one, despite the fact I do like Jim Carrey.  But I was very pleasantly surprised.  It's quite good for a children's movie.  Carrey is in top form, blending real acting with the rubber-faced comedy he's known for.  The supporting cast is great, including Angela Lansbury, Carla Gugino, David Krumholtz, Jeffrey Tambor, and Philip Baker Hall.  The sets and locations in New York City, many in Central Park, are beautiful.  And it's pretty funny and likeable, for both kids and adults.  I could hear the kids laughing a lot and I had a smile throughout with a few real laughs along the way.  It's rated PG so it still has some adult material, but it's the most enjoyable family film I've seen all year.

Grade: B

3 comments:

  1. I did not have high hopes for this, but now I can't wait to see it, although I'll probably wait til it's out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is taking my 13 old daughter to see this today as she has a half day of school. I will post their thoughts later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see this with the kids!

    ReplyDelete