Monday, June 6, 2011

Passion Play


I first saw this film at the Toronto Film Festival last September, where the buzz was that it was received extremely poorly by critics.  And that's putting it mildly.  Many critics hated it with a ... well ... passion.  (Pun intended).  Well, perhaps it was the excitement in the air from having the cast present, including the often elusive Bill Murray, but I fully enjoyed my experience.  Certainly some parts were better than others, and it's no masterpiece, but it was an enjoyable enough, original fable with an interesting cast.  And you really can't go too wrong with Bill Murray. 

Mickey Rourke plays a man in trouble and about to get whacked, in this atmospheric film noir, when fate steps in and saves him.  He then stumbles upon a strange carnival in the desert where he meets Megan Fox, one of the star sideshow attractions, as she seemingly has wings.  And Bill Murray plays a gangster who wants Rourke dead but also takes an interest in Fox.

My curiosity was peaked at whether my opinion would change after revisiting the film almost a year later on DVD, going in knowing that critics were so put off by it.  And having heard that the DVD version was significantly changed from what was shown in Toronto, I was even more interested in a second viewing.  Well, to be honest, I really didn't notice any changes from what I had seen, and I still stand by my original review.  It's an enjoyable enough, original fable with an interesting cast.  And you really can't go too wrong with Bill Murray.  This is not a strong recommendation, but if you're a Bill Murray fan you know you want to see it.

Grade: B

1 comment:

  1. No comment on the movie, but that's a weirdly awful poster. Knauer on Posers gives it a D-, the gentleman's F

    ReplyDelete