Friday, June 3, 2011

X-Men: First Class


Well it's barely June and yet we already have two Marvel comic summer blockbusters to pick from (with 'Thor' being the other) but clearly the winner of that contest of champions is this prequel to the X-Men trilogy.  This one tells the back story of a young Professor X, played by James McAvoy, his coming of age and realization of his destiny, and his fateful early friendship with a young Magneto, played by Michael Fassbender, who would one day become his arch enemy.  (Ain't that always the way in the comics?)  The impressive supporting cast includes Kevin Bacon, January Jones, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Lawrence and Oliver Platt.

This film has a very different look and feel than all the other Marvel comic movies, no doubt courtesy of director Matthew Vaughn.  Vaughn is best known for the slick, stylish, and wonderful films 'Layer Cake' and 'Kick Ass', two of my favorites.  He clearly understands that there's more to a comic book film than non-stop action sequences.  It's equally important if not more so to have a compelling story and character development, and this film has both.  Some scenes drag on a little but overall it's very entertaining and it ties in very well to the original trilogy.  All in all it's a very satisfying and fun summer blockbuster.

Grade: B+ (and maybe should be an A-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of all the other X-Men films and even own 1-3, back when I was buying DVDs on the regular. Why it took me this long to watch this one, then, is beyond me. I thought this was great. James McAvoy was a bit annoying, but I suppose the eternal optimism of Professor X is sort of annoying. I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Fassbender's Magneto. Big thumbs up for this one and I hope I can catch pieces of it as it airs on movie channels for the next few months.

    ReplyDelete