Friday, July 29, 2011

Another Earth


Art house science fiction films are often better than sci-fi blockbusters because what they lack in budget they have to make up for in creativity.  Generally.  Unfortunately, this film which I was eagerly awaiting didn't succeed as well as I'd hoped.  Although the premise is a good one.  What would happen if another Earth was discovered?  Not just another planet, mind you, but another planet just like ours, with people just like us, and maybe even with a person just like you.  There are so many interesting ways one could take that idea.  Unfortunately writer/director Mike Cahill and writer/star Brit Marling chose to make this more of a character driven, relationship film than focus on the science fiction.  In fact, they could have even removed the whole separate Earth plotline and it would have still been a movie.  A bad movie, but a movie nevertheless.  But I can say that, while this film is very, very slow, and the cast wasn't really very engaging, the idea and the ending are worthy of thought and discussion and that is more than I can say about a lot of summer releases.  So, if you dig the art house sci-fi (and I do), then go for it.  Just make sure you're wide awake beforehand.

Grade: C+

3 comments:

  1. wow, that seemed a lil harsh. I found it interesting to have the scifi subplot as the back drop. I wouldve given it a B- probably. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in that B-, C+ range for me as well. I liked the ending. As for it being slow, it was but it didn't bother me since I took a 5 hr energy drink 2 hrs before I saw this as I was seeing 3 movies in a row that day, and this was the 2nd one, haha.
    And who lets a stranger come into their house and let them clean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian - Just saw Another Earth and LOVED it. I think it's the best movie I've seen in quite some time, though I'm a sucker for low-budget sci-fi movies. Brit Marling is fantastic, the atmosphere (no pun intended) is quite eerie, the sci-fi subplot worked nicely with the theme of the movie, and a great ending!

    ReplyDelete