Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Day


As usual for me, I went into this film knowing absolutely nothing about it.  I much prefer it that way.  But the title threw me off.  I assumed the entire film, or at least most of it, took place all in one day.  But quite the contrary.  This is a romantic drama about the relationship of Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess spanning over two decades, beginning with their college graduation.

Lots of films start strong and fall apart by the end.  This one is actually the opposite.  I wasn't really into it for the first half, but by the end it really pulled me in.  At first I had written it off as a worse version of 'Blue Valentine' with a bothersome message that one can get away with an inordinate amount of bad behavior as long as one is good looking.  And while thats unfortunately true, it didn't sit well with me for the first half.  But as the film went on, and the characters matured, it really developed into a thoughtful film that resonated.with me afterwards.  It's still no 'Blue Valentine', mind you.  And from early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, other critics aren't being as kind as I am.  But it worked for me, right down to the dual meaning of the title.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment