Friday, September 23, 2011

Moneyball


Based on a true story, Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, a real life former baseball player and former general manager of the Oakland A's who in dire times attempted to change the way baseball teams were constructed.  I don't want to say any more than that (even though I'd really like to), because this is one of the best films of the year so far and a lot of the joy is in watching it unfold.  I will say that it's hard to believe it actually happened, and even harder to believe it's taken Hollywood a decade before they finally made a movie out of it!  But good things come to those who wait, because this film is done perfectly from top to bottom.  I've seen it twice in the past two weeks and it's even more enjoyable the second time when you can focus on performance.  And to anyone who doesn't think Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, or Philip Seymour Hoffman are all top notch actors, see this film and tell me otherwise.  Oh, and don't worry if you're not a baseball fan.  This one's extremely entertaining regardless, and perhaps even Oscar worthy.  At the end of its 133 minute running time, you still want more.  And I don't say that very often.  It's a home run.

Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. As I'm now fresh out of my favorite baseball team, it's high time I headed to the theater to check this out. I've heard nothing but great things about this, so I'm assuming I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete