Friday, September 30, 2011

What's Your Number?


No, this is not a pickup line.  (But that's actually what I originally thought the title implied.)  Anna Faris plays a girl who just can't find 'The One' and she's suddenly feeling bad about the above average number of men she's slept with.  So she decides to try to reconnect with one of her past lovers in hopes that she will find love without increasing her number.  Seems logical, I guess.

This is basically just your typical R-rated, crass, romantic comedy targeted for women.  But I actually enjoyed it more than I think I should have, and probably more than it deserves to be enjoyed.  (That sounded like a backhanded compliment, but it's really not meant to be.)  This isn't the funniest movie of the year but it's really very likeable.  I had a smile on my face from start to finish.  And that's largely due to the appeal of the leads.  Anna Faris is adorable, sexy, funny, and way too appealing to not be able to find love.  (But isn't that the underlying flaw of every romantic comedy?)  And Chris Evans' personality really comes across here (unlike in 'Captain America').  He's also pretty much naked most of the film, so swoon away, ladies.  And some of the jokes are genuinely funny (while others are admittedly just awkward.)  But this one gets by on likeability and makes for a good date film for the weekend.

Grade: B+

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping this one was good!! I've been reading these backwards, but you've been having some pretty good success at the movies lately!

    ReplyDelete