Friday, October 14, 2011

Footloose


Hollywood execs are clearly desperate for material when they decide to dig up this cheesy film from the 80's.  And it really hasn't been updated very much at all.  Many scenes and lines are taken directly from the original about an out-of-towner who shakes things up in small town America where they've banned dancing to keep their kids safe.  And that's really the heart of my issue with both of these movies.  Are we really supposed to buy that any town in America would actually ban dancing to keep their kids safe?  Crack down on alcohol and drugs?  Yes!  Implement a curfew?  Sure.  Ban certain types of profane music?  OK, I buy that.  But a ban on dancing?  It just doesn't make any sense.
Let me come clean.  I wasn't a fan of the original.  And even though the remake wasn't nearly as painful as I anticipated, it's really just not worth going to see unless you really are.  The fresh faced teens just aren't captivating.  Dennis Quaid does a good job of replacing John Lithgow as the minister father responsible for the dancing ban, but that's about all the film had to offer for me.  (Andie McDowell must be looking for work because her role doesn't really have much meat at all.)  And even the soundtrack isn't really a draw here.  And that's key for a movie like this.  You'll leave the theater with the Kenny Loggins classic stuck in your head, but that's about it.

Oh, and I know you want to know if Kevin Bacon shows up, right?  I mean, how could he not?  Well, I probably shouldn't spoil it, but I wouldn't rush to the theater just to be able to add this film to your 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon' list.

Grade: C-

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen the original and have no desire to see this one either. I guess there just really aren't any new ideas out there...or so Hollywood would like us to think so.

    ReplyDelete