Friday, October 7, 2011

Real Steel


I'm going to cut to the chase and keep this review short since this movie already robbed me of more than two hours of my time:  Real Steel is Real Stupid.

Hugh Jackman plays a down-on-his-luck loser who enters large robots into fighting competitions.  And he's also a deadbeat dad who agrees to look after his boy for a summer in exchange for a large sum of money, after which he will dump him off on his ex-girlfriend's sister.  But, amazingly enough, the world of robot fighting manages to bring them closer together. (sniff sniff)

I could tell early on that the real fight here was going to be me fighting to stay awake.  I found myself alternately drifting off and waxing nostalgic about 'Rocky' (a great movie), 'Transformers' (a fun guilty pleasure) and 'Warrior' (which wasn't very good, but suddenly I feel as if I was too hard on it.)  Nothing works here.  The father-son relationship is so cliche it's laughable.  The barely touched upon romance between Jackman and Evangeline Lilly is completely devoid of any chemistry.  And the interminable robot fighting was like watching a terrible video game that never ends.  And at 126 minutes, this film is way, way, WAY too long!  Hugh Jackman, is too good for this movie.

This movie is the exact type for which the Razzie awards were created.  It's not the worst film of the year, but because of the talent involved, I think it deserves the anti-Oscar,

Grade: D-

2 comments:

  1. Oh the sweet embrace of the Gentleman's F. Smooth as Cognac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CK is killing it in the witty comments. I was just going to yell: ROCK EM SOCK EM ROBOTS!

    ReplyDelete