Friday, October 28, 2011

The Rum Diary


Johnny Depp plays a journalist writing for a newspaper in Puerto Rico.  And that's all I'm going to say about this movie.  No, not because it's so good that I don't want to ruin anything.  In fact, I just don't know what else to say about it.  Absolutely nothing happens.  And that's why I find the tag line on the poster ironic.  'Absolutely Nothing in Moderation'.  The unintentional meaning of that sentence is eerily fitting.

On the surface this movie looks excellent.  Johnny Depp is always great and he generally picks interesting offbeat roles.  Aaron Eckhart has become a very solid and reliable actor.  Richard Jenkins always hits it out of the park.  And you can always count on Giovanni Ribisi for a fun, over-the-top, explosive performance.  Yet somehow this movie is a maddening bore.  It's two hours of nothing happening.  I wanted to walk out but I didn't dare lest I might miss the payoff at the end.  Well, it didn't come.  This is just bad filmmaking by Bruce Robinson based on bad writing by Hunter S. Thompson.  For me, this was 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' all over again, and I really didn't need to re-experience that hot mess.

Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment