Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Feet 2


In general, I'm not a big fan of animated films.  And I find kids' films to be the hardest to grade because I'm an adult.  But it just seems to me that animated films for kids just aren't what they used to be.  I still have extremely fond memories of 'The Jungle Book'.  Every character and every song and every scene is just so memorable.  And the characters all had personalities of their own.  They weren't just animated versions of Brad Pitt or Matt Damon.  In fact, I still don't know who voiced them and I don't want to know.  To me, they were and still are just Mowgli, Baloo, and Bagheera.  Is it just me or have things changed significantly for the worse?

This sequel to 'Happy Feet' is another continuation of the penguin bandwagon started by 'March of the Penguins'.  This one's basically about an awkward penguin who needs to come into his own.  And he is given that opportunity when a threat to their home arrives.  But this weak plotline seems basically like an excuse to have extended penguin song and dance routines, and while those musical numbers are the best part of the film, they really aren't that good.  Furthermore, the 3D is lame, and even the vocal stylings of Pitt, Damon, Elijah Wood, and Robin Williams don't help.  This one's a dud.  Sorry, kids.

Grade: D

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the first one... even with music from the great Stevie Wonder featured. So I doubt I'll watch this with the kiddies. And I agree about The Jungle Book. A classic! They don't make them like they used to... although we HAVE to watch Rio upon your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete