Friday, November 4, 2011

Like Crazy


Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin star in this heavy romantic drama about the intense love of a young couple.  The film spans the highs at the beginning of their relationship in college and the lows as they are kept apart in different countries due to visa issues.  Can they sustain their love despite being unable to live together?

I must admit I was skeptical about this film.  Yelchin has never won me over and I wasn't familiar with Jones.  But the two do a pretty decent job here.  However, the beginning struck me as unrealistic, as I never really saw the attraction between them, and yet they appear to fall madly in love at first sight and seem to never want to leave each other's side.  I had a hard time buying that.  But as the film progresses, their relationship gets more real as the difficulties of life interrupt their paradise.  Then the film matures, and by the end it had won me over.  To be clear, 'Blue Valentine' and 'One Day' are better.  But this ain't bad for those who like the 'relationships are hard' genre.

Grade: B+

1 comment:

  1. C+ for me on this one. As the movie went on I cared less & less about the characters and if they eventually made it or not. I did enjoy watching F.Jones, I don’t recall seeing her before but I look forward to see what she does next. Rent Going the Distance for a similar movie.

    ReplyDelete