Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Skin I Live In


Famed Spanish director Pedro Almodovar is back, reuniting with Antonio Banderas who he directed in the late eighties in films like 'Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown' and 'Tie Me Up! Tie me Down!'.  Casual movie fans don't know Almodovar's work (many others of which star Penelope Cruz) but real film buffs are aware of his repertoire.  This time get ready for an original and disturbing thriller in Spanish with English subtitles.

Banderas stars as a famed surgeon who has been experimenting with skin replacement surgery for burn victims.  He has created a new type of skin that is stronger and better than regular human skin, but he's only been allowed to test it on animals.  I won't say anymore since this one should unravel for you on its own, but I will say that Almodovar doesn't make it easy on you.  He keeps a lot of things a mystery until the proper time for them to be revealed.  And that's the genius of the film.  But he also revels in making you increasingly uncomfortable.  I found myself wishing the end would come sooner just so I could escape the discomfort.  But many times when you think it's finally over, it's not.  So, while I found the movie refreshingly original and extremely well crafted, I can't help but think that however many hours Almodovar spends in therapy now, he needs more.

Grade: B+ (Although it may deserve an A-)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it. You would've given it an A- if you saw it at Lincoln Center, haha. His therapy is putting his madness down on paper and on the screen, and most times he succeeds

    ReplyDelete