Friday, November 4, 2011

A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas


Well, we witnessed them embark on a quest for White Castle burgers and escape from Guantanamo Bay, and now those two loveable scamps, Harold & Kumar, are back again to put you in the Christmas spirit in this very crass, and very funny stoner comedy.  And this time they're in 3D!  Now, ordinarily I'm not pro-3D, particularly in serious, quality, well-made movies like 'Harry Potter'.  But here it's absolutely essential.  You can almost feel yourself getting high from the smoke seemingly being blown right in your face.  Don't you dare go see the 2D version!  And as for merging Harold & Kumar with Christmas?  Genius.  Well, truthfully I wasn't completely on board with it for the first half but the second half more than compensated for it.  And three words: Neil Patrick Harris.  Not unexpectedly, NPH steals the show.  In fact, this is his best appearance yet.  So while I don't think this movie hits it's full potential, it's very enjoyable, gets better as it goes along, and you leave the theater wanting more.  That's rare.  I think it even has the potential to be a Christmas classic.  (I said the same thing about 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation', 'Scrooged', 'Elf', and 'Fred Claus'.  OK so that last one didn't take off, but I really liked it.)

Now while I'm in a pretty great post-film glow right now, as a critic I must end with some criticism.  I don't understand why they released this film so early.  It's hard to fully appreciate the whole Christmas theme when it's barely November.  Nevertheless, since last year was virtually holiday movie free (with the exception of 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale') I'll gladly take one whenever they release it.

Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. Well said! NPH is a power house. Oh, and Fred Claus rocked. One of our favorites! Great soundtrack, too....

    ReplyDelete