Friday, December 23, 2011

The Artist


Get ready for something original.  (And that's rare in Hollywood.)  This one's a silent picture in black & white.  It's an homage to the films of the 1920's, with minimal dialogue, only as needed, shown in full screen subtitles, and backed by a full orchestra.  This is the story of a successful silent era movie star who must deal with a changing work environment as 'talkies' become the rage.  It's 'Singin' in the Rain' meets 'Pleasantville'.  Sure it might be criticized as gimmicky by some, but for me it's refreshingly original and absolutely worth seeing.  And based on all the buzz, top ten lists, and awards nominations its received of late, it's safe to say that it's on a very short list of pictures likely to take home the top prize at the Oscars.  (Unless, of course, Alexander Payne's 'The Descendants' takes it instead.  Too close to call.)

Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie. Saw it at the festival in October. I plan to watch it a couple of more times, which is something I rarely do. There are a few big movies that I have yet to see but for now this is my choice for Movie of the Year.

    ReplyDelete