Friday, December 9, 2011

New Year's Eve


A huge ensemble cast of familiar faces span multiple storylines, many of which eventually intersect, all on New Year's Eve in New York City.  And if this poster and this concept look and sound familiar, it's because we've seen it before when it was called 'Valentine's Day', also directed by Garry Marshall and written by Katherine Fugate.  (Perhaps they should have called it 'Groundhog's Day' for its deja vu allure.)  Is there any doubt that 'Christmas Eve' is already under discussion for a December 2013 release?

Anyway, if you've seen 'Valentine's Day' then this movie is exactly what you expect: a lot of likeable personalities interacting in a lot of feel-good, safe, predictable storylines, some of which are more unbearably cliched than others.  (The Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer storylines are beyond trite, and I think my eyebrows may still be a bit elevated due to the number of times I had to roll my eyes.)  That notwithstanding, I must admit it's a smooth ride.  Even I, as jaded as I am, can still appreciate a feel-good, likeable, easy watch.  (And it's light years better than 'The Sitter', which I suffered through the night before.)  So, in the spirit of the holidays, and since I know women across the globe are going to enjoy the heck out of it, I'm going to be a smidge generous.  Happy New Year.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment