Friday, January 27, 2012

Albert Nobbs


Glenn Close plays Albert Nobbs, one of many servants for a rich family in 19th century Ireland in this period drama.  But no one suspects that Albert is actually a woman.  Really??  Oh c'mon.

Just like 'Some Like it Hot', 'Tootsie', 'Mrs Doubtfire', 'Just One of the Guys', 'Jack and Jill', or almost any cross-dressing film, I just can't suspend my disbelief.  I can't stop thinking that no one would ever buy this.  Not for a minute.  And I really don't think Close does a particularly convincing job of pulling it off.  (Although she's infinitely more believable than Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, Joyce Hyser, or Adam Sandler in drag.  Granted those are supposed to be ridiculous comedies.)  But Close's gender bending appearance is only one of a few unbelievable things about this film (which I won't spoil in case you do decide to see it.)  Well, I can't recommend it, and I find it hard to believe Close has been nominated for an Academy Award for her performance here.  Grossly undeserved.

Grade: C-

2 comments:

  1. Bri, you're on the money with your ratings. For the first time in life I feel asleep at the movies watching this boring, boring, boring, boring....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither Close nor McTeer deserve nominations for this film. They took spots away from K.Dunst, E.Olsen and S.Woodley.
    Had a big crush on Joyce Hyser back in the day from the Just One of the Guys movie.

    ReplyDelete