Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Perfect Sense


Now available on Video on Demand, Ewan McGregor and Eva Green star in this thought provoking film about unrelated people across the world suddenly and mysteriously losing their sense of smell.  Is this an epidemic?  Is it temporary?  Will things get worse? 

I'm a sucker for these kinds of high concept 'what if' films.  This one's for those who appeciated 'Blindness' (about people mysteriously going blind), 'Children of Men' (about all women mysteriously unable to get pregnant), and 'Contagion' (about a new disease with no known cure spreading rapidly).  Exploring these kinds of worst case scenarios always keeps me intrigued and makes me feel like I got my time and money's worth.  And this one's pretty close to 'Perfect'.  Ewan McGregor and Eva Green give amazing performances.  It's artsy, bleak, thought provoking, powerful, and moving.  It blends romance, melodrama, and sci-fi perfectly.  And it touches me in a profound way.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment