Friday, February 24, 2012

Act of Valor


The public awareness of Navy SEALs, that elite team of special forces that operate at sea, in the air, and on land (and thus the acronym), seems to wax and wane.  It certainly seemed to hit a relative peak back in 1990 when Charlie Sheen and Michael Biehn starred in a pretty forgettable film called 'Navy Seals'.  Since then they seem to have fallen out of the public eye.  That is until Osama Bin Laden was killed last year.  Now they're the flavor of the month and it's not surprising to have another movie made about them.  But make no mistake, 'Act of Valor' features actual active duty Navy SEALs, not Hollywood actors.  This is a weird hybrid between a documentary, a narrative film, a promotional video, and a motion simulator ride for a new Military themed hotel in Vegas.  And that combination just doesn't work for me at the Cineplex.  When I go to the movies I look for storytelling, dialogue, character development, and casting.  I didn't get any of that here.  And I don't want real life heroes who can't act playing heroes in movies, just like I don't want Hollywood actors who aren't trained in Black Ops conducting secret missions in the Middle East.  Let's stick to our day jobs, people.  I was completely bored from start to finish and found myself wishing Charlie Sheen, with his tiger's blood and adonis DNA, would make an unannounced cameo.  (Spoiler alert:  He doesn't.)  The only real surprise is that this film is getting a wide release, while compelling films like 'Rampart' have been in severely limited release limbo for months.  I don't get it.

Grade: D

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I have major admiration for the Navy SEALs. Too bad this one didn't translate well for you...

    ReplyDelete