Friday, February 3, 2012

Big Miracle


Just like anyone, movie critics have biases.  Personally, I have several red flags that would make me steer clear of a movie if I weren't obligated to review it.  For one, I don't generally care for family films.  (If it's rated G and it's not made by Pixar, I probably don't want to see it.)  I also don't like live action films where an animal is the protagonist or the focus of the film.  ('Free Willy', 'Dolphin Tale', 'War Horse', etc...)  I do like animals, but I just don't want to see them as the focus of a movie.  They just aren't as smart as filmmakers might have you believe.  (Are you listening, Steven Spielberg?)  And I also don't go for tag lines like, "Inspired by the Incredible True Story."  Needless to say, I wasn't particularly looking forward to waking up early on a Saturday to see a film about an entire nation obsessed with saving three whales.  But you know what?  It's actually a pretty decent movie.

Now don't get me wrong, I still don't like the premise here.  Personally I find it incomprehensible that so many people would put their lives in peril and spend so much money to save a few creatures that, frankly, are killed all the time.  (To quote a great Vulcan, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.")  I do, however, believe every living creature deserves someone looking out for them, so I am thankful for organizations like Greenpeace and animal activists that look out for the general well being of animals, but I think this particular instance in our nation's history was outrageous.  Of course, that's just my opinion, and that's not why you called.  (I know many others will disagree, and that's ok.  I look forward to your comments.)  Regardless, this is a well made film with a likeable cast, including John Krasinski, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Bell, and Ted Danson.  It's rated PG, suitable for families, and more enjoyable than I expected.

Grade: B

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of it until now. Huh. Glad to hear it wasn't a total waste of your time. Really like Drew Barrymore and Ted Danson. David and Cameron saw and loved Dolphin Tale... hmmm, might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete