Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance


There's a wide range of feelings towards the first 'Ghost Rider', the 2007 film starring Nicolas Cage based on the Marvel comic character of the same name.  Much like Cage himself, some people love it and some hate it.  I fall in between, but actually more towards loving both the film and Cage.  To me, Nicolas Cage generally makes great movies even greater (e.g. 'Kick-Ass' and 'The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans'), average movies good (e.g. 'Drive Angry' and 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice') and bad movies palatable (e.g. 'Trespass' and 'Season of the Witch').  But even his over-the-top guilty pleasure style of acting doesn't make this sequel worth your time.  There's really very little to enjoy here.  The script is terrible, the dialogue inane, and the casting poor, with the notable exception of Ciaran Hinds, a great actor who's been in less than great films as of late (Yes I mean you, 'Woman in Black'.)  So even if you're a fan of Cage or the first 'Ghost Rider', think twice before checking out the sequel.  I sure wish I could get my afternoon and $11.25 back.

Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment