Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar Predictions


OK, so I probably should have posted this a while ago.  But truthfully, I'm no better at predicting these than Entertainment Weekly or any of the seasoned pros.  So if you really want to score in your Oscar pool, just check out EW.com and who won the Critics Choice Movie Awards (CCMA), the Golden Globes, and the other 9000 awards shows that took place in the last 8 weeks.  Nevertheless, here are my picks:


The six major awards are almost a lock.  You'd be crazy to pick anything other than the following:
Picture: The Artist
Actor: George Clooney
Actress: Viola Davis (although Meryl Streep is always a strong possibility)
Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer (although Max Von Sydow is a contender)
Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
Director: Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist

The following four are very good bets:
Original Screenplay: Midnight in Paris
Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants (or possibly Moneyball)
Animated film: Rango
Foreign Language: A Separation (or possibly In Darkness)

The technical awards are a lot tougher to predict, so I use EW as a guide:
Cinematography: Probably Tree of Life (but it also could be War Horse or Hugo)
Costume: The Artist
Makeup: EW says The Iron Lady.  I'm going with Harry Potter, which won at the CCMA.
Score: The Artist.  (But War Horse was good too.)
Song: I liked the soundtrack to Rio better, but Man or Muppet will win.
Art Direction: Hugo won at the CCMA and EW predicts the same.  I'd love to say Harry Potter, but I'll stick with the favorite: Hugo.
Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes won at the CCMA and EW predicts the same.  I'd love to say Harry Potter, but I'll stick with the favorite: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Editing: The Artist
Sound Mixing: EW says Hugo.  I have no idea, but Transformers 3 just feels like a better pick.
Sound Editing: EW says Hugo.  I have no idea, but Transformers 3 just feels like a better pick.

I haven't seen the docs or the shorts, so I have no idea.  I defer to EW:
Doc: Paradise Lost 3
Animated Short: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Live Short: The Shore
Doc Short: Saving Face

We'll see tomorrow night how I fared.

1 comment:

  1. Out of the six major awards, I'd say the 2 that could go either way are the lead acting catergories. My predictions are Dujardin and Davis, but I could just as easily see Clooney and Streep winning. I'd be surprised if the other 4 differed from your picks.
    The foreign film catergory has alot of upsets but its hard go against A Seperation since its been winning pretty much every other award.
    Hard to predict the technical awards but I'll go with The Artist for Cinematography.
    I saw 3 of the docs, and I am rooting for Undefeated. I did not see Paradise Lost 3 but if I had to money on it, that would be my choice.
    The animated short should go to The Fantastic Flying Books or La Luna.
    I liked all of the Live Short's and wouldn't be uspet if any of them won, but if I was betting I would go with The Shore but rooting for Tuba Atlantic.
    The Doc shorts should go to Saving Face but it wouldn't surprise me if The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom won

    ReplyDelete