Friday, May 4, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


I love movies that are made for adults because if you think about it, it's surprisingly rare.  Most movies are targeted to 12 year olds, as those are the people that spend the money and buy the products (even though they ironically don't have any money of their own.)  So it's a breath of fresh air and a treat to see a movie with an ensemble of elderly, all-class actors, even if it's not quite as great as it could have been.

Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, and Dame Judi Dench are amongst this stellar British ensemble cast, playing senior citizens with varying problems that individually lead them all towards moving to India to a hotel targeted for the elderly.  Rumor has it it's the best, exotic, marigold hotel.  It's not.  Nevertheless, they become friends and tackle issues of life, love, and money.

I adore the cast here.  It's easily the best ensemble of the year so far.  And I really enjoyed the movie.  It just made me feel good, backed by a great score by Thomas Newman.  Of course I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's a bit slow, a bit long, and the script could certainly have been a bit better.  But if you're like me, and you crave movies for adults, then I implore you to go see it.  Otherwise all we'll have to look forward to is Thor 2,  Captain America 2, and Twilight 5.  Ugh!  Think about it.

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment