Friday, June 8, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom


I don't get Wes Anderson films.  I try.  I try really hard, actually, because a lot of people who I respect really love them.  And I certainly can't deny the draw of his casts; They're a filmmaker and filmwatcher's dream.  Aside from regulars Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman, this time he managed to attract Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, and Harvey Keitel!  Holy cow!  How?  Why??  WTF???  Why do such sought after A-list actors regularly jump to work on films like 'Bottle Rocket', 'Rushmore', 'The Royal Tennenbaums', 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou', 'The Darjeeling Limited', and 'Fantastic Mr. Fox'?  I sure don't get it.  In my opinion, no one wastes talent like Wes Anderson.  And his latest movie about a boy scout and a young girl who run away doesn't just show that, it more or less proves it.

Grade: D+

3 comments:

  1. Boo! Hiss! You monster. As I Wes Anderson fan, I think this is one of his best. Right below Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore. I can see why Wes isn't people's thing, though.

    No one wastes a cast like Gary Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite Wes Anderson movie, that being said I still give it a C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Brian, I think you're enjoying your exaggerated hate for Anderson's films as much as you ridiculously forgive anything as long as Amy Adams is in it. You're not perfect. I forgive you. In the spirit of balance, I'll half agree with you here.
    I myself, am torn about Moonrise Kingdom. I agree that the cast is not utilized, reducing big talents to just moving cameo/props. For example,I can think of a dozen people on my street that could've done Bill Murry's role. So,fair enough on that.

    I suspect you dont get Wes Anderson films because you are a lil uptight. No, no, it's OK, dont be ashamed. Some of our most successful religious leaders, tv robots and presidential candidates share that with you. It's understandable that the gestalt approach is not everyone's cup of tea. If it were, we'd probably be a very troubled society but that's another thesis.

    This movie, however left me neutral/numb. What I love about Rushmore and Tannenbaums is Anderson's provocative near-realities filtered in a world of absurdity and unconventional storylines and anti-hero characters. Here it felt like it was simply him going through what is clearly safe formula of weird for weird sake, and I never once cared what was going to happen or how the characters would continue their cartoon marathon which they weren't even very committed to. Yeah, I felt like the characters were as bored as I was. The one redeeming element of Moonrise Kingdom is the Aesthetics. This is the richest, most beautiful of Anderson movies Ive seen so far and that was my "Amy Adams"- saving grace.
    *this rant fueled by 2 cups of coffee.

    ReplyDelete