Friday, June 8, 2012

Prometheus


As hard as I try, it's rare that I actually succeed in avoiding all trailers, spoilers, and even basic plot elements for big budget films.  If you ever watch TV, go to the movies, or talk to people, it's virtually impossible.  And yet somehow I managed to do that here.  The only things I knew about this movie were that it was directed by Ridley Scott (who directed the very first 'Alien' in 1979) and there's been a long-running whispered-about rumor, which is the thing that made me so excited to see it ... (slight spoiler alert) ... that it's a prequel to the 'Alien' franchise!  And that's all I needed to know to make it one of my most anticipated movies of 2012.  Furthermore, it features an eclectic and quality ensemble cast including Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, and Guy Pearce.  So, did it live up to my expectations?  Yes and no.  I absolutely love the feel of it and the build up.  Right from the start you can tell it's going to tackle the big questions.  This is not just some lame story about love, money, or boring super heroes vs. super villains.  It's about the existence of life as we know it.  Where did we come from?  Who made us?  And that's my kind of premise.  In some ways this is the model for what big budget movies should be, with a storyline as big as its budget.  And yet, I must admit I left the theater wishing there were more answers than teases, which seems to be a writing trait of 'Lost's Damon Lindelof.  But just like when 'Lost' ended, I felt grateful it had existed and though it was flawed, it was still better than most anything else on TV.  The same could be said for 'Prometheus' versus almost every big budget movie released this year.  So I hope this movie does well at the box office because I'm super psyched for a sequel.  And I don't say that often.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment