Friday, June 15, 2012

Rock of Ages


Well, it's been over an hour and I still can't believe what I just witnessed.  This could actually be the most ridiculous movie of the year, and I've seen some pretty ridiculous movies.  I mean, Alec Baldwin in a shoulder length bob alone puts it in the running for the coveted Most Ridiculous award.  Add in Tom Cruise as an Axl Rose-type rock star, Paul Giamatti as his David-Crosby-look-a-like manager, Russell Brand, Malin Akerman, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bryan Cranston, a monkey, and two charisma-lacking youngsters as the leads and you've got the weirdest mixed bag rock star/karaoke-esque movie ever made.  (Of course that's not a genre with a lot of contenders, though I do have a special place in my heart for 'Duets', a true karaoke joy.)  AND YET ... halfway through the film I settled in and realized that I shouldn't even try to take this movie seriously because it clearly doesn't take itself seriously.  Not one bit.  'Rock of Ages' seems perfectly comfortable with you laughing at it rather than with it.  And Tom Cruise commands the big screen in any role.  He is worth every dollar of his generous salary in every film.  And actually, this is a good companion piece to his lauded supporting role as bald, overweight Les Grossman in 'Tropic Thunder'.  And the same kudos go for Paul Giamatti who shines in any part.  So, I'm actually going to give this one a mild recommendation for anyone who still digs all those hair bands and overplayed ballads from the 80's like 'Don't Stop Believing'.  I only wish there were some original tunes thrown in as well.  And I'd certainly be happier if Hollywood started casting the leads under 30 based on more than just looks.  But that's probably too much to ask for.

Grade: B-

2 comments:

  1. Throw in Magnolia as well for great out of the ordinary Tom Cruise roles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I totally agree, TMcG. It's a great movie and a great non traditional role for him.

    ReplyDelete