Friday, June 15, 2012

That's My Boy


If you regularly read my blog or watch my FOX segments, you know by now that Adam Sandler is not one of my favorites.  And that's an understatement.  Though I willingly acknowledge that in the past he's made more than a few good movies, including 'Funny People', 'Spanglish', 'Big Daddy', 'Mr. Deeds', 'Billy Madison', and even the bizarre yet strangely appealing 'Punch Drunk Love'.  But it's the movies where he plays a complete idiot, like 'Little Nicky' and 'The Waterboy', that I just can't stand.  And we can now add one to that list.  Kind of.

This time Sandler plays a former scandal headliner as a tween who impregnated his teacher.  Now he's grown up and broke and needs to track down his estranged and successful offspring, played by Andy Samberg, to help him pay off a tax debt.  But all of that exposition is just a vehicle to be able to juxtapose Sandler's trademark crass, moronic character with the stereotypically stuffy bourgeoisie that his son is marrying into.  And the result is exactly what you expect from a Sandler film:  fart jokes, masturbation jokes, juvenile slapstick comedy, and cameos of has-beens like Vanilla Ice and Todd Bridges.  In other words, it's that same old Sandler shtick.  Though I honestly can't say it was devoid of entertainment value.  Truthfully I laughed more than a few times in the second half (though I'm not proud to admit it.)  But most of the jokes fell completely flat in the first half, and if you listened hard during the uncomfortable silences you could almost hear Andy Samberg regretting his decision to leave Saturday Night Live.  Probably a bad decision, Andy.  Probably a bad decision.

Grade: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment