Friday, July 13, 2012

Ice Age: Continental Drift


Oh joy, another animated family film.  By now, y'all know how much I love these.  Of course I'm being sarcastic.  This isn't my genre.  I don't get the 'Ice Age's or the 'Madagascar's or the 'Kung Fu Panda's or the 'Happy Feet's or any of those non-Pixar animated films.  But that could be just me.  Other people, young and old, seem to love them.  So I've learned that I really have no business grading these.  The honest truth is, you know by now if these are for you.  If you like the 'Ice Age's, 'Madagascar's, 'Kung Fu Panda's, and 'Happy Feet's, then you'll like this.  If you don't then you won't.  But since I always provide a grade, to me this seems like a ...

Grade: C-

As an aside though, the one thing I do enjoy about animated family films is that they're preceded by a short.  And even though I'm generally not big on seeing shorts programs at film festivals because they really don't allow time for a proper beginning, middle, and an end, seeing one short before a feature film makes for a nice experience.  I wish more films did this, since there's really no marketplace other than film festivals for good short films.  'La Luna' before 'Brave' was quite good.  And the Simpsons short that precedes 'Ice Age 4' is better than the feature film itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment