Friday, August 31, 2012

Lawless


It's getting to that time of year when Oscar caliber films are released, and 'Lawless' certainly has the right look and feel to be one of them.  At least on the surface.  In this bloody conflict between corrupt law-men and a family of moonshiners during Prohibition, it's the cast that really does the shining.  Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce, and Jessica Chastain clearly worked overtime to try and make their roles something unique.  But for some reason I can't understand, I just wasn't pulled in.  I certainly feel like I should have been.  It's a well made film for sure but, like another prohibition era tale, 'Boardwalk Empire', it just didn't command my attention at all times, as it should with everything it has going for it.  In short, it's good but not great.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment