Saturday, September 8, 2012

Branded


I love genre films and I love art house films, but it's rare to get an art house genre film.  With virtually no advance notice, word of mouth, or marketing that I was aware of, this futuristic sci-fi film opened quietly over the weekend in a wider release than I would expected, in both art houses and multiplexes.   And the cast, led by relative unknown Ed Stoppard, but with an eclectic supporting cast including Leelee Sobieski, Jeffrey Tambor, and Max von Sydow, added to the mystery of it all.  Everything about it intrigued me.  And sure enough in the first 30 minutes I found it to be wonderfully original, with great performances by Tambor and von Sydow.  But unfortunately as it progressed it became painfully boring and borderline incomprehensible.  I'm really not even sure what happened.  I know it has to do with evil corporate America taking advantage of society through masterful marketing.  But beyond that I'm really not sure.  It looks nice and has loads of potential, but ultimately I found it to be a complete waste of time.  And that's really disappointing.

Grade: D+

No comments:

Post a Comment