Friday, September 21, 2012

Hello I Must Be Going


Statistically speaking, though America is trailing behind other countries in most academic and professional measures, we remain #1 in self confidence.  It's a growing problem that is increasingly evident and it disturbs me.  Everyone exudes confidence but for no real achievement.  There's a word for it.  Arrogance.  So it's refreshing to me to see a film with complex, interesting characters who lack confidence.  And the characters in this movie are so watchable for so many reasons.  The cast is perfect, particularly Melanie Lynskey ('Win Win', 'Up in the Air', 'Two and a Half Men').  Writer Sarah Koskoff and director Todd Louiso clearly both knew exactly what they wanted and they got it.  It's funny, dramatic, and poignant - my favorite combination.  One of the best compliments I can give a movie is wanting to spend more time with the characters after it's over.  I had that in spades with this one.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment