Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Royal Affair


Generally, people either love or hate historical European costume dramas.  There aren't many released in a year, and rightly so, because it's targeted to a niche audience.  But as a lover of good films from all genres, I will always try a film that doesn't initially appeal to me if the buzz is good.  And I'm glad I did with this 18th Century Danish aristocracy drama, which is Denmark's submission to the Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.  It's excellent.

Child-like, immature kings seem to be all the rage these days (e.g. Game of Thrones) but King Christian VII is also a buffoon, much to his betrothed's dismay.  But when a German doctor and scholar of the Enlightenment enters the picture and becomes his right hand man, things are about to change.

While I admit, the 2 hour 20 minute run time feels a bit long, and the film takes a bit to get into, it's very rewarding once it hits its stride.  It's not to be missed if you're a fan of the genre, and you should consider it even if you aren't.  It's one of my favorite foreign language films of the year.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment