Monday, November 26, 2012

Cloud Atlas


'Cloud Atlas':  A true masterpiece of a once-believed unfilmable book beyond the capabilities of my feeble mind, or another ambitious failure from the Wachowski 'Brothers' and the biggest big-budget mess of the year?   This is the question I've been asking myself since I first saw this film a month ago.

Ordinarily I preach that one should avoid all trailers, spoilers, and plot points before seeing a film.  I strongly believe that the less you know about a movie going in the more you'll enjoy it.  (Case in point: 'Deadfall'.  Avoid the trailers.  Just see it!)  Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and 'Cloud Atlas' is one of them.  I knew absolutely nothing about it going in and I was confused from the first minute and that confusion lasted approximately three painful hours.  Is it unintelligible to the uninformed?  Was I tired from seeing 16 other films in the previous five days at the Philadelphia Film Festival?  Am I a dullard?  We may never know the answer to these questions.  But one thing was for sure.  I was not in a proper position to give this film a grade until I saw it again.  So I didn't.  And now, a month later, I saw it again.  And this time I was ready.  I knew what to expect.  I knew how it would start and how it would end.  How hard could it be to follow it knowing all that?  Very, very hard.  I still can't follow the damn film.  Is it me??  Is it too genius for me??  Or is it an unintelligible mess???   I.  Don't.  Know.    DAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  

somebody help me.

Grade: D+

2 comments:

  1. LOL nice writeup. Check out the film, "Mr Nobody" sometime. ~ Mike K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of it, but will surely keep it in mind. Thanks Mike.

    ReplyDelete