Friday, November 23, 2012

Holy Motors


Holy Motors, Batman!  This is one crazy-ass movie!  Believe me when I say it's definitely the weirdest film I've seen all year.  I won't tell you what it's about, partially because experiencing it is the fun part, and partially because I'm not sure what it's about.  I will say it's French with subtitles.  And if you think you have an odd job, you need to see a day in the life of Monsieur Oscar.

This is the second ambitious film of the year to predominantly take place in a stretch limousine (with 'Cosmopolis' being the other), and like 'Cosmopolis' I'm not sure if it's a complete success.  But I know I enjoyed the ride, all the while trying to understand what it's about.  I just wish I knew if movies like this really have a defined storyline in the filmmaker's head, or if they're intended to be ambiguous and somewhat random.  This one's not for everyone, and don't expect a fully satisfying conclusion and everything wrapped up in a bow, but if you like David Lynch or Jean-Pierre Jeunet, this one's for you.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment