Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Queen of Versailles


Ordinarily I preach that reality shows about the Hiltons or the Kardashians or other spoiled 'lucky sperm club' socialites, famous for achieving nothing, exemplify everything that's wrong with America.  For many impressionable kids, these poor role models are who they idolize.  And why not?  Why get an education and work for a living if you can somehow just get rich quick and party all the time?  Sign me up!  But that's not reality for 99% of us.

So I may seem hypocritical when I tell you that this documentary about Westgate time share billionaire David Siegel and his former model trophy wife Jaqueline is fantastic.  For one, it's extraordinarily entertaining (as I must admit watching the Hiltons and Kardashians can be, in a guilty pleasure kind of way.)  But it also digs deeper than all those trashy reality shows.  You really get a pretty sobering look into the unfortunate as well as the fortunate side of being uber-wealthy.  And, for those of us that don't know their story, this doc has some pretty unexpected turns.  I won't ruin them for you, but do yourself a favor and check it out.  It's now available on DVD and Blu-Ray.  Oh, and you also get a brief appearance and voiceover narration by my friends, FOX 35 anchor Amy Kaufeldt and FOX 35 reporter David Martin, respectively.  Bonus!

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment