Friday, November 16, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook


If you've been paying attention to the festival scene, you know the latest film from director David O'Russell ('The Fighter', 'I Heart Huckabees', 'Three Kings', 'Flirting with Disaster', 'Spanking the Monkey') has been taking it by storm, winning audience awards at Toronto, Philadelphia, the Hamptons, and Austin.  It received rave reviews from everywhere I read and everyone I know who had seen it.  And frankly, I was surprised by all this.  This film wasn't really on my radar prior to September.  But suddenly it's on the short list for Academy Award Best Picture nominees.  Could it possibly live up to its reputation?

Bradley Cooper plays a man who spent the last eight months in a mental institution, and now he's coming home to his parents (played by Robert DeNiro and 'Animal Kingdom's' Jacki Weaver) and trying to learn to control his outbursts.  But he may have found his match when he's introduced to his friend's sister-in-law, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who also has more than her share of emotional problems. 

'Silver Linings Playbook' is a slightly dark, severely dysfunctional family dramedy with complicated characters, Philadelphia Eagles fanaticism, and even a dance competition.  And if that's not something for everyone, I don't know what is.  It's a well made film with comedy, drama, and a great cast, and it's sure to be a crowd pleaser and you should go see it.  But, like 'Argo', I just don't think it's one of the top 10 of the year.  The Academy will disagree with me.  Do you?

Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. I finally saw this over the weekend (I know - I'm so with the times!) And besides some pretty great performances and Philly fanaticism, I did not really care for this film. It just seemed like a lot of crazy people with no self control & not just Bradley's & Jennifer's characters. If I wasn't an Eagles fan I'm sure I would have hated this. I"m not sure why this was such a fan favorite.

    ReplyDelete